LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Just installed Linux Mint 18...

Post by LghPuppy »

on a laptop that was giving to me.
Oh the list of questions.
I'll just start this with 2.
1 What is the best forum for Linux where i can learn and ask questions :icon_question:
2 How do I turn off the sleep function in Linux :icon_question:
Any help would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

update: I found the sleep function.
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
KLAATU
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader
Location: http://www.chattchitto.com/forum/viewto ... lit=KLAATU

Re: Just installed Linux Mint 18...

Post by KLAATU »

I assume you tried to get answers from Youtube? :)
Haggisman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Haggisman »

One of the better forums is http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ it has heaps of info and has some very knowledgeable contributors. :thumbup:
Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

Use Linux And Relax
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

Well it looks like that LP will be doing a lot of reading. :book:

I'll be setting up a second monitor to the laptop so I can follow along with both the Videos and information i;ll be looking at.
I find it easier to to do things while I watch them being done.

Thanks both of you for the info. :D
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

And for any technically challenging Nittygritty involving Linux, our very own MrNiitriix is the man to consult. :ok:
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

BTW IDH1, what version of Mint 18 are you running, Mate or Cinnamon?
I found out that we need to be pretty system specific about it on those forums, should the reason arise. :thumbup:

Beside the point.......... :D

I'm sure there will be a lot more talk about 18 in the next few months, but the amount data on a whole heap of websites is comparatively tiny in comparison to that of 17.3. :noexp:

I'm avoiding 18 just now, I'll explain myself for those that don’t know...........
I run Linux Mint 17.3 as a main machine and therefore it is pretty important to me that my system actually performs and works well. That is of paramount importance to me.

I even heard that the Mint man himself (Linus Torvalds) said that he didn’t see the point of installing 18 yet if you were a 17.3 user. so I aint going there yet, that’s for sure. I’m just too cautious as my 17.3 system is running as smoothly as a mash-mallow in a warm swimming pool. Its taken me months of nurturing to get it that way.

Having read through the lines with most new OS, I'm of the opinion that 18 will throw up more problems than it will resolve, for the time being. So frankly, I hope you don't end up getting fed up with it because of the bugs and features that haven’t been properly addressed yet (and there appears to be a whole laundry list of the stuff out there :( ).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking 18, it's looking like great step forward with its endeavours, chasing the tails of Windows and racing to gain even more popularity as the "free alternative" for those of us who are bored, confused or p*ssed off with the Mc$uck empire. I'm just not fully convinced that this version of Mint is solid enough yet to run the way some people want it too. Like Windows 7 used to :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's just that I am of the opinion that 18 is too new to enjoy the full benefit of what is currently available in the repository’s for 17.3 and it's previous incarnations, for it to be overlooked for the time being. In other words, it's a little too pioneering for me, knowing what little that I do on the subject.

Basically what I am saying is this; the stuff you may expect to work i.e coding/script, may just end up being a nightmare of paper chases. And, if you are anywhere near my intolerance level of unworthy and unusable software, I would have settled for less, which is more in my book. :fun:

Being a Linux n****e myself and also a pretty lazy, ex-Windows SOB, I enjoy easy answers to difficult problems. So when push comes to shove, I think Mint 18 will be a door that needs its hinges oiling more often than not, but hopefully things will wear in. :D

Good luck :D :thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

:icon_arrowu: Good advice, Moby!

Production/daily use systems - as a general rule I keep a one or two version distance behind the current releases until such time as they are well proven and deemed boringly stable.

Being an unpaid beta tester simply doesn't appeal to me any more; nor do I have the time to be experimenting, researching and chasing after solutions to problems which shouldn't exist and that I had no hand in creating...

Yes, its all very Curmudgeonly of me, I know. Complain as loudly as you will; I care not.

P.S. The filing fees for such complaints have now been raised to $300. :tongue:
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

Hi Möbius, I'm running Mint Cinnamon. So far so good. :thumbup:

You'll find this funny, 18 wasn't my choice. The laptop I have needed a HDD so I got a 1TB.
Well I tried to install Widows 7 (home, prem and pro) to no avail. I even tried to load XP and just kept getting the BSOD after the files loaded.
Windows 7 wouldn't even get that far, it just would sit there in the DVD drive and spin. then I'd get a screen telling me there was a cable that wasn't connected. :icon_evil:
With all the checking and tearing down I can now gut including the hard drive (Dell 14R 4010) and reassemble the laptop in 20 minuets. :thumbsup:

So then I thought well this is going to be a dual-boot so I tried 3 different distro: Zorin 32bit 10 lite, Debian 7.0 (wheezy) 32-bit and Mint
I tried mint 17.2 and 17.3, they just wouldn't load live disk. :( (both 32 bit).
I had a copy of Mint 18 32bit and gave it a shot, and I'll be damn if it didn't work. :appls:

So till I figuar out what is going on with the laptop not loading windows 7 I'll just use what I got.
Just call me a Guinea Pig. :giggle:

One thing for sure I won't run out of space on this drive. :doh:
Please consider Donating
Edmund Burke

Return to “Everything Linux”