Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

edifipo
Premium Donator
Premium Donator

Linux distro

Post by edifipo »

Dont know if this is the right place
I have been using Windows for years and now I want to give Linux a try.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time! :)
lolek
Third year Cadet
Third year Cadet

Re: Linux distro

Post by lolek »

There are so many, but Zorin, Mint, Ubuntu, Arch, Manjaro, CentOS..... al this are realy good and for Windows users.
Best place to check all Linux distros is http://distrowatch.com/. You Can finde all linux distros in the world and litlle bit more :tongue:
KLAATU
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader
Location: http://www.chattchitto.com/forum/viewto ... lit=KLAATU

Post by KLAATU »

Zorin is perfect for a Dual Boot system. Windows + :thumbup:

http://www.chattchitto.com/forum/viewto ... ilit=zorin
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

It depends on your taste.

And whether you enjoy pain :icon_eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are not into masochism, keep reading.................both systems mentioned below are good news for people who don't like pain.

Zorin, OS 9 or 11 are both great. But, I prefer Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Rosa.
Believe me, I have tried a good many Linux "flavours", I settled on Rosa LTS (Long Term Support) 2019 because it feels like home, but in another country and the weather is good :thumbup:

What you will probably want to do is visit either of the above, official websites and download the ISO's and only run them as "live discs" for a few days before you make your choice. I only say this as, there are some compatibility issues.
Mostly they run out of the box, but there IS, as always, bugs, that you may run into that can cause frustration i.e. USB/DVD/Connectivity.
(Mostly with newer machines or custom builds).

Ubuntu 14.04 is a good system (both of the above are forked from that OS. BUT..........
Personally I cannot get away with it. To me it feels alien and its interface (although, none too difficult) has a slightly steeper learning curve and not very intuitive. For Tux-Heads and die-hards, this is great. For boat jumpers; not so friendly.

Zorin has a fair amount of eye candy to start off with; Mint is slightly more difficult to configure, but, I think it is more "fine tunable" and feels more solid.
Both are "Works in progress" and some times disappoint, especially if you are a Windows freak. Both can look remarkably like Windows 7 and even act like them, :thumbup: about the only thing I miss about Windows is the lack of cascading window tiles, even then there are alternative views than that.

My choice would be https://linuxmint.com/download.php
(Rosa,Mate or Cinnamon, Mate is even more configurable, but..................read up on it and try them if you wish).

I have never been a fan of Dual Booting, my argument is that occasionally hardware issues arise with that route; it is only upon complete removal of the Windows OS that, you can reap the rewards of either Zorin or Mint.

:icon_arrowd: My screenshots of 17.3 Mint, Cinnamon Rosa 64bit is as solid as a railway sleeper. That is; fully installed, without any Microsoft bullsh*t what-so-ever.

:icon_arrowu: :icon_arrowd: Tweaked, colours and transparency, slightly, from the original themes (hey, I am learning). No whistles, no bells. Not singing or dancing....................
It just works...............incredibly well.
:thumbup:

:icon_arrowd: Oh yeah, Windows 7 installed in VirtualBox works pretty well too for those programmes that are difficult to replace in Linux. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

:cheers:

(Get Linux in whatever form you please. It may mess with your head to start with, but it won't rape your wallet or your privacy).
http://www.chattchitto.com/forum/viewto ... 62#p346462

Use Linux And Relax
edifipo
Premium Donator
Premium Donator

Post by edifipo »

Möbius » 06 Apr 2016, 05:50 wrote: I have never been a fan of Dual Booting, my argument is that occasionally hardware issues arise with that route; it is only upon complete removal of the Windows OS that, you can reap the rewards of either Zorin or Mint.
I was thinking of keeping Windows and using VM for the Linux distro.

@Möbius, thx1138, lolek
Thanks for the info guys :appl: u paved my path to Linux! :bow-yellow:

@Möbius
Wow man! lots of info! :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow:

I am new in CC but I am loving it already!
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

edifipo » 06 Apr 2016, 19:15 wrote: I was thinking of keeping Windows and using VM for the Linux distro.
You will need a shed load of memory to get it running smoothly, half your RAM (minimum 4gig for 64bit).
I experimented with V-Box in Windows for months to get Linux to work half decently.......
It was a pig!
Sluggish as mud, so I gave up.

Not that Windows running in V-Box is much better, I found that cloning a base Win7 without any updates worked good. BUT.........
Some programmes in Windows just max out the virtual CPU and RAM. Anything that requires .NET Framework above 3.5.1 will probably make a Windows VM run out of steam :( . Hopefully there will be ways to improve this as V-Box improves, and, I can track down some script for adjusting video acceleration and upping the ram of the V-Box from the terminal :confused: :confused: ............blah :lol:

I was using Zorin 9 on an older machine (32bit) and it worked great. When Win 10, on my new machine gave me grief, I installed Zorin 9 (64bit) on that too. It was flippin' hopeless. 8 distros later, I found Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Rosa worked best on it, so it does vary from machine to machine, greatly! And depending on whether you are running an AMD or Intel chip-set.
There are sites out there that will give you compatibility results for various machines and distros, so, if you want to run any Linux as a fully fledged OS, track down the compatibility first.

This stuff needs loads of patience and plenty of re-tries. If you have the determination, you are half way there. DONT GIVE UP either, once you get there, you are on top!

Good luck mate (no pun intended) :thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
edifipo
Premium Donator
Premium Donator

Post by edifipo »

Möbius » 06 Apr 2016, 23:18 wrote: Good luck mate (no pun intended) :thumbup:
I see that there will be lots of reading, trying and fail and back up again. :wallbash:
Anyway, thanks for the heads up, much appreciated! :icon_smile:
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

I have started making a thread here about Linux Mint.
It might be of some use
http://chattchitto.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 16&t=66481

Use Linux And Relax
edifipo
Premium Donator
Premium Donator

Post by edifipo »

Möbius » 09 Apr 2016, 20:33 wrote:I have started making a thread here about Linux Mint.
It might be of some use
http://chattchitto.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 16&t=66481
got it! :ok:
thanks!
ChetanG
Premium User
Premium User

Post by ChetanG »

I have been running over 10 Linux distro's with VMware on a windows laptop that is 8 years old with 4GB memory.

I don't recommend using a windows like Linux distro as you need to ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish?

Get a true Linux distro and learn the command line thus becoming a power user..(something you can't do with windows.)
" Pray: Let the music of peace and harmony be heard everywhere. — Amma "

Return to “Everything Linux”