Linux startup black screen

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Linux startup black screen

Post by MrNiitriiX »

So i have been using a Windows-linux dualboot for ages now and after my last reformat i can only sometimes manage to install linux and even after install it boots maybe one or two times then during the boot it just shows a black screen. I have tried: ubuntu, backtrack, fedora, slackware, openSUSE, etc. with exactly the same issue.

Windows 7 works fine, i get to the screen to chose what to boot into, and if i chose linux (which ever it is) it starts booting then the screen goes black. It is as if the power to the monitor just cuts off, completely black with no "backlight". As i mentioned sometimes this happens during install and sometimes after install and once it happens it always happens but not always straight away. I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit with the same issue.

any more info needed just ask :) ... i am at a loss ...
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List
ChetanG
Premium User
Premium User

Re: Linux startup black screen

Post by ChetanG »

Go to this web page and read what he recommends...
See if you varied from this path....

http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos/du ... d-windows/

Also look at this web page as it may pertain to you..

http://forums.techarena.in/operating-sy ... 389545.htm

Good Luck! :thumbup:
" Pray: Let the music of peace and harmony be heard everywhere. — Amma "
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

thanx for the reply ChatenG ! I looked through the 2 links but can't seem to find the help to my issue :(, only help on how to install the dualboot.

i tried to start from scratch... gparted, repartition+format, installe win7, then try linux... and i can't even install now. It loads a bit, then i either chose Live or Install = the screen turns off (on laptop). Their is no option to type anything so i can't change anything from the installer (unless maybe done from the windows side). HELP :D i need my linux back :D

-- 27 Jun 2011, 19:37 --

i have now also tried through WUBI...and theis F******** is pissing me off now :D :D (it didn't work either).

i don't understand whats going on.
1) I did everything the same as i have always done with 100% success, why not now?
2) Im finding it very difficult to find others with the same issue and/or fix
3) The fact it won't even let me get to any sort of commanline/terminal makes it all much harder
4) GRrrrrrr LOL
Upload List
fredpc
Premium User
Premium User

Post by fredpc »

Have you tried using a bootmanager ....there may be a problem with the boot sector ?????

There is this option called gag ....find it here
http://gag.sourceforge.net/

I had a HDD that was damaged at the start of the drive (wouldn't boot any Os) ....I formatted and partitioned the first partition at 8 meg but didn't use this

Then installed Win 7 to the next partition and so on....I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

fredpc wrote:Have you tried using a bootmanager ....there may be a problem with the boot sector ?????
There is this option called gag ....find it here
http://gag.sourceforge.net/
I had a HDD that was damaged at the start of the drive (wouldn't boot any Os) ....I formatted and partitioned the first partition at 8 meg but didn't use this
Then installed Win 7 to the next partition and so on....I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try

thnx for the sugestion ill give it a try!! but im not sure this is the problem, as i can't even boot "live", which does not use the HDD.

im thinking of just installing linux in a virtual environment ... my last option :( which i was hoping i wouldn't need to do...

THE SOLUTION TO THIS DAMN THING :)
At the install screen press ‘F6‘ and insert one of the options below, depending on your hardware.
On first boot after install, press e to edit the GRUB menu.
Using the arrow keys to navigate, delete quiet and splash and again insert one of the options below.
Press Ctrl and X to boot.
The suggested options that I have found are hardware specific. Here is a list:

Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
nVidia: nomodeset
Generic: xforcevesa

Hopefully one of these options will get you up and running. Keep reading now to make these changes persistent!

GRUB

You’ll want to change these settings in GRUB so they’ll automatically be applied on each reboot. To do so, follow the steps below:

Edit the /etc/default/grub file. You will need Admin privileges to do so (sudo)
Find this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”
Replace with: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash <option>”

For example, if I had an older Intel model, my GRUB configuration would read:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash i915.modeset=1″
Save your changes and you should get proper graphics on each reboot.

UPDATE: Based on a lot of user feedback I am reminded that you need to run ‘update-grub’ after you make changes.
added:
for my ATI i need to delete “quite splash” from the grub line, and instead of that write “acpi=off radeon.modeset=0″

i hope this will help people with similar issues and prove to all that linux is still better then any other OS :D :D
Upload List

Return to “Everything Linux”