Help on Linux(Ubuntu)

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

BenjaminRen
Trusted Uploader
Trusted Uploader

Help on Linux(Ubuntu)

Post by BenjaminRen »

I got some questions about Ubuntu(latest version), how do I install this game => Wakfu, w/o using Wine.
and, how to install new themes and start-up screens and desklets...and last question,how to increase size of Ubuntu w/o deleting it. I installed it using Wubi( alongside W7)

EDIT:is there task manager like in windows for ubuntu...
fredpc
Premium User
Premium User

Re: Help on Linux(Ubuntu)

Post by fredpc »

BenjaminRen
You should be able to increase the linux partition with G Parted or patition magic ......If Wakfu is a windows game as far as i'm aware you will have to use wine

As for doing this ..... how to install new themes and start-up screens and desklets
Have a look here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuEyeCandy

For task manager
Have a look here
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007/08 ... nager.html
johnyaar
Corporal
Corporal

Post by johnyaar »

fredpc wrote:BenjaminRen
You should be able to increase the linux partition with G Parted or patition magic ......
I don't think G Parted can help increase the size of the partition.I had tried this once before but unfortunately, I had to re-install Ubuntu and make new partition(which surely means all data were gone!) :(

Lets see what he makes out of it...... :thumbup:
Have Faith.......
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

hmmm, im not sure if gparted will work in this particular case either as it was installed via Wubi (so bassically its installed like a windows ap). I would highly suggest Dualboot for you mate (check my list for the "basic" instructions on doing this). As for the game, if it is a windows game and you have ubuntu installed via wubi, why not just install the game on windows?? If it is a Linux game, you can search for it in the "Software center" under "games" and simply click Install. If for some reason you cannot find it their, you might need to go to their website and download the installer (should be a ".deb" extention ...if not you will have to compile the installer your self, which i'm guessing from the questions you asked, you will find very tricky).
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List
Rigamortis
Corporal First Class
Corporal First Class

Post by Rigamortis »

Hell i learned something Wubi. I never knew that existed lol.. Im old skool. I quad boot the hard way. I checked into that MMO, it looks to be windows only.
BenjaminRen
Trusted Uploader
Trusted Uploader

Post by BenjaminRen »

ctrl+alt-delete didnt work but it was part of the applets or something, i installed .sh file of wakfu but it says there is not enough space, there is 1gb left in Ubuntu,so,how do I increase size of Ubuntu?
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

i found this for you mate on the ubuntu forum:

The first, described here, is not strictly a resize, but rather a duplication to a larger virtual disk. E.g. if you have a 7GB root.disk, and you want to make it 10GB you need 10GB of free space (plus leave enough for Windows). This is safer than attempting to expand the current root.disk.
This technique must be run from within the booted Wubi install.

The second technique is a true resize, which must be performed from a live CD. This is much faster and can make better use of the available space. See post #2 for details.

Automated resize
Download the attached file wubi-resize_1.3b.sh and save it to your Downloads directory.
The rest of the resize is run from the Terminal:

For usage instructions:

Code: Select all

bash wubi-resize_1.3b.sh --help
To create a new 10GB virtual disk:

sudo bash wubi-resize_1.3b.sh 10
After the script is completed it will instruct you to reboot into windows, rename the file \ubuntu\disks\root.disk to \ubuntu\disks\OLDroot.disk and then ename the file \ubuntu\disks\new.disk to \ubuntu\disks\root.disk
Do not delete the OLDroot.disk until you have confirmed the new root.disk is working (or keep OLDroot.disk as a backup).

Note: the script will merge separate virtual disks into a single virtual disk and automatically adjust /etc/fstab accordingly. If this is not desired, use the manual method. The script limits the size of the new virtual disk to 32GB. Please refer to the usage instructions for options if you require a larger size (although I would recommend migrating to a normal install if this is the case).

How long does it take?:
To create a 5GB disk from a freshly installed Ubuntu on my machine, "dd" takes 4 minutes, "mkfs" takes 9 seconds, and "rsync" takes 6 minutes. On an older install with lots of files or a fragmented partition, the rsync will take a lot longer.
Known issues:
1. The script will exclude mounted partitions under /media and /host - but partitions mounted under a non-standard mountpoint e.g. /windows will be copied. Please unmount these prior to running the script. (I'll release a new version to correct this).

CREDIT... I used the LVPM guide by Gena Kovaks and the scripts by Agostino Russo from the Wubi guide (and lupin package) as reference material. The code is now hosted on GitHub. You can keep track of new development or contribute. See https://github.com/bcbc/Wubi-resize

Manual resize:
For those interested, I've included the commands to perform the resize manually.
WARNING... the commands "dd" and "mkfs" are very dangerous if used incorrectly (they can destroy all the data on your computer). It is recommended to use the automated resize (the attached script) as there are additional checks and safeguards against errors.

Please ensure you have enough space for the new virtual disk before proceeding. E.g. for a 10GB disk you'll need 10GB free as well as enough space for Windows to operate. Do not use this if your /host is a FAT32 partition.

1. Unmount any partitions that are not mounted under /host or /media. (e.g. sudo umount /windows )

2. Run all commands as root; check free space on /host

sudo -i
df -h /host
3. Create a new virtual disk of e.g. 10GB (10,000 MB)
change count= parameter as appropriate.

cd /host/ubuntu/disks
dd if=/dev/zero of=new.disk bs=1MB count=10000
4. Format the disk with the ext4 file system

mkfs.ext4 -F new.disk
5. Mount and copy files to new virtual disk

mkdir -p /media/newdisk
mount -o loop new.disk /media/newdisk
rsync -av --exclude '/sys/*' --exclude '/proc/*' --exclude '/host/*' --exclude '/mnt/*' --exclude '/media/*/*' --exclude '/tmp/*' --exclude '/home/*/.gvfs' --exclude '/root/.gvfs' / /media/newdisk
umount /media/newdisk
exit
6. You're done!
Reboot into windows, rename the file \ubuntu\disks\root.disk to \ubuntu\disks\OLDroot.disk
Rename the file \ubuntu\disks\new.disk to \ubuntu\disks\root.disk
Reboot back into Ubuntu -- only delete the OLDroot.disk if you are sure it worked.

NOTE: if you have previously created separate virtual disks e.g. for /home, this process will merge /home back into the new virtual disk. That means you need to remove the separate entry for /home from your /media/newdisk/etc/fstab (before the umount command) (or change the rsync command to --exclude '/home/*' altogether).

hope this is what you are looking for...
Upload List
BenjaminRen
Trusted Uploader
Trusted Uploader

Post by BenjaminRen »

I won't be able to use both the methods,in the drive I have total 8 GB left, [in ubuntu now 700mb :O ],so I won't be able to increase size right? [i installed .sh file w/o any problem]
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

is their a reason why you can just uninstall ubuntu and make a fresh "WUBI" install with a larger "partition" size??
Upload List
BenjaminRen
Trusted Uploader
Trusted Uploader

Post by BenjaminRen »

my net speed is slow,don't want to download the files all over again,but if its the only option...

Return to “Everything Linux”