Interesting question about sensitive sites and Linux.

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Interesting question about sensitive sites and Linux.

Post by LghPuppy »

MARKING » 26 Sep 2016, 14:36 wrote:I like Linux my only concern is about security, (due to lock of knowledge.) It's it safe for Banking and other sensitive sites.
can some one that knows Linux write a post about this. :book: I'm running Zorin 9 with windows 7 duel boot.
It's it a bad idea to run Linux duel boot with windows 7 as far as security goes?
I have pondered this same though. :think:

Now I know there are folks here that use Linux all the time but just how safe are we with sensitive sites?

I would assume that it should be no different then Windows, or am I wrong?

Do we need to install Anti-Virus Software? I did find this forum on the subject (for Linux Mint): I did find this of interest.

Code: Select all

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=133414
Any and all comments will help us beginner.
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Re: Interesting question about sensitive sites and Linux.

Post by Möbius »

I looked into AV for Linux Mint and read a lot of stuff on it. There does not appear to be any worthwhile AV software out there to run on it other than ClamAV which is basically to stop you from transferring any dodgy material that may be harboured on your machine, to a Windows unit.

There are AV out there, if I recall correctly eset nod32 for Linux but only commercial ones https://www.eset.com/us/home/antivirus-linux/

I honestly don’t know what Linux systems it might protect though and I really don’t care for the hassle of finding out either.

To be honest, your best bet is to run only one particular version of either Chrome or Firefox for sensitive data, like banking etc and obviously another for day to day surfing.

In my opinion, if you are using the net at any time, my choice of browser protection would be to Firejail the browser. This is like using Sandboxie; a similar concept. https://firejail.wordpress.com/

On your clean and freshly installed "secure browser" you can create a launcher to start it jailed so that you don’t get any interference from add-ons, dodgy plug-ins or whatever. From there on, only ever use it for the purpose you intend it for and you will most likely be as secure as you can get these days, but that is another story.

So, staying safe? I personally have no gripes using Linux as a secure way of "sensitive data transfer".

Another alternative would be to run a VM with a Windoze guest just for that particular activity. Your average AV would slow it down terribly, but a program like Shadow Defender would work great without the need for heavy duty AV.
Also recommend, the obligatory free SuperAntispyware installed on it too.

I have never come across a virus or infection yet that has managed to alter my machines behaviour. But then again, I am very, very cautious.

:thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

As always thank you Möbius for a more in-depth answer. :ok:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

No problem bud!

Firejail/Firetools comes as two parts CLI and GUI, best for both, just for us newbies. Sorry about no install proc but its dinnertime, it is easy tho......

Munch :D

Use Linux And Relax

Return to “Everything Linux”