Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

The Everything Linux Mint 17.3 thread

Post by Möbius »

For my own gratification........... :lol: :lol:

NO!

Here is a scratty, itty-bitty post that I have wanted to see, take off here.
Who knows?

Honestly, this is going to be a sort of blog filled with, hopefully yours and my "Good, Bad and Ugly" aspects of Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Rosa as stated above in the title and maybe give some helpful hints about this system along the way.
If you are using Mate, Xfce or KDE please make comment. But be aware that some things work out of the box in one fork, and not the other.

Seeing as we now have a dedicated "All about Linux" category on the forums here, and you may be using a slightly different Linux OS to what is in here, you may want to start your own Ubuntu or Zorin thread etc. Although all are free to make comment here.

This is going to be a "what I have found out" thing.....................a "where I got it from", "screen-shots" and "did it perform well" sort of thing.
Do not hesitate to chip in if you are using the same system..............

I am certainly no expert in this field but, I have managed to maintain a perfectly usable and stable system for a good few months now and that is much more than I could ever say for Microsoft, when I first started using their OS in '98. Mint is far more than Win98 and compares favourably to Windows7. The once "Holy Grail" of Systems.

Hopefully along the way, my somewhat amateur and limited input will be of some usefulness to those among us that are novices where Linux is concerned. Maybe an expert or two will join in and help us put our wrongs to rights again.
(Hopefully.........hint)

Anyway..........

We are so used to Windows now that the mere thought of it (Linux) makes most people shudder about using a "dark force" to do our daily business and chores on. No, its not actually like that; it is quite a friendly system once you can get your head around it. The only problem is GETTING your head around it. :lol:

I am shortly about to give you a simple user tutorial about installing it and somewhere along the line, give you an idea of which packages you may possibly want to use to your benefit, as well as a good few slices of my experience, as I chug along daily, with Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Rosa installed on a 64bit, 4 core machine, with an AMD chip-set.

I am fairly sure that Linux will be chasing after Microsoft's tails, in its relentless push to make us BUY all the "up to the minute software and eye-candy performance departments". But to be honest, I don’t give a rats-ass about M$ and their software or policy’s.
All I want to do is share information freely, download, upload, watch films, play music and surf the net without big brother breathing down my neck every time I switch on a PC or a laptop (and getting screwed into the bargain for it).

In time, I am hoping we can fill some pages with a good deal of interesting things that you and me, the "End User" can use, FREE OF CHARGE from Open Source Technology...............................

Linux is becoming a more and more viable option in my opinion, as greedy old Microsoft is openly trying to throttle us, as well as trying to steal as much information as they possibly can from us before someone eventually puts a stop to "legal data-theft"

Why not use Linux? Its getting better and better all the time.......................you will see, soon enough for yourself; here in the pages of
ChattChitto

Later folks.
Its dinner time :P

Some time later that day........................

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa – Cinnamon Installation

Linux Mint is arguably one of the easiest and most user-friendly Linux-based operating systems to come by in the Linux world; and while it might be second to Ubuntu in popularity, it remains the favourite of a large majority of Linux users around the globe.

It’s easy; Linux Mint is essentially “Ubuntu done right”. While the latter might not be bad in it’s own right, it is no news that the stability and flexibility the former offers is unmatched by Ubuntu.
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa - Cinnamon Installation, Review and Customization

Linux Mint developers have taken the Ubuntu code, refined and made it into what is one of the world’s most reliable system.
And with every new iteration of Linux Mint is a much more refined software that continues to trump over Ubuntu.
While some Ubuntu devotees will argue that Linux Mint is no better than the varying distributions based on Ubuntu it is worth noting that Mint is one of the very first to take the Ubuntu codebase and refine it for better usability and stability.
Mint is available in quite a few flavors which include Cinnamon, KDE, and Xfce with LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) using an entirely different Debian base.

Linux Mint

Here I will walk you through the installation process of the Cinnamon variant on the latest Mint release – 17.3 Rosa.

Prerequisites, we must get.

Head on to the Linux Mint download page and get an image (one that suites you preference) – in this case, we are going with the 64bit Linux Mint Cinnamon variant.

Once booted to the desktop, there you’ll find the computer, home and install Linux Mint icons (which you can’t miss).

Linux Mint 17.3 – Cinnamon Desktop Installation

1. You go ahead and launch the installer and almost immediately, you’re prompted with a language selection screen where you select your install language before proceeding.
Select Linux Mint Installation Language

2. At this point, you see the installer confirms that you have all the recommended configurations needed for the installation to continue, after which you may now click continue to proceed.

3. At the next step of the installation, you’re prompted to choose your installation type which always defaults to the first option and depending on your system, i.e, if you already have an operating system installed, you’d be asked to continue in a dual-boot configuration or triple boot (as needed).
Select Linux Min Installation Type

However, if the system is a clean slate, the options will default to “Erase disk and install Linux Mint” as see in the image.

The options right below are for advanced users and you probably don’t want to touch them except you really know what you’re doing.

4. Once you click the “Install now” button, a quick dialog window shows you the changes that will be applied to your disk accordingly – pops up with all the configuration that will follow once you’re done installing the operating system.
Confirm Linux Mint Installation Disk

5. Once you’ve successfully gone past this point, you’ve crossed the most crucial stages after which you’ll now select your region on the map.
Hint: it auto-selects provided you’re connected to the Internet.
Select Your Country Region

6. On the next screen, you’ll choose your keyboard layout and if you’re uncertain, you can as well type into the empty white box with grayed out text then proceed by click the small rectangular box right below it.
Select Linux Mint Keyboard Layout

7. The next screen is where you input your details – Your name, password, etc.
Create User Account

8. Installation begins once you might have entered your details as needed.
Linux Mint Installation Process

9. Once done, you’re prompted to continue testing or to restart your PC; in which case you select which options suits you at the moment – I’d take that you’d go with the latter.
Linux Mint Installation Completes

10. I’d assume you went with the latter after which your system restarts. At this point, you’ll input your username and then your password as needed and press enter to proceed.
Linux Mint Login

11. Once on the desktop, you’re greeted with a welcome screen at which point you want to go to your lower right corner and untick the “show dialog at startup”.
Linux Mint Welcome Screen

12. Once you’ve done that, you must update your system as it is a good practice with every Linuxer or any good PC user for that matter.
Update Linux Mint

Brief Linux Mint 17.3 Review

It is without doubt that Mint has made an example with its exemplary Cinnamon desktop to other Linux distributions and desktop environments alike.

You can almost certainly attribute Mint’s success to this day to the Cinnamon DE which is not only simplistic with a UI akin to Windows but also, intuitive as it doesn’t get in your way but rather makes your most basic tasks easier to get about with it.

This, of course, was a necessity at the time Linux Mint started to become a thing and Windows users that were looking to transition to Linux easily felt right at home with Cinnamon.

Cinnamon is currently at version 2.8 which got released with Linux Mint Rosa 17.3 (which is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and it features a host of improvements and a few new nifty additions here and there.

While it might not seem like a lot, there’s has been a lot of stability improvements to boot not to mention the loads and loads of bugs that have been squashed with this release.

Following the world popularity of Linux Mint’s Cinnamon, we can as well argue it to be the best desktop environment in Linux – which, is of course, subjective.

Clearly, it’s simplistic way of doing things derails from the likes of GNOME 3 of which it shares its core codebase, it is worth noting that it has since then matured to the extent of stripping as much of Gnome from its shell.

Also with its own dedicated filemanager (Nemo), system update software and a few others, Mint with Cinnamon (which is the flagship of the bunch) is slowly approaching singularity.

While Cinnamon hardly has any learning curve to it, it is worth noting that there might be some cases where you can’t access some applications from the standard pre-built software centre in which case you’d have to go with the PPA way of doing things or downloading .debs from external sources.

Which shouldn’t be too much of an hassle considering that the distro is based off Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; meaning there are ample resources online that will get you on with whatever it is you might need do.

Most importantly, Linux Mint with Cinnamon provides an “out of the box” experience which has mostly spelt out the success of this operating system.

An added advantage of the Cinnamon desktop environment is its extreme configurability which can be achieved via applets, extensions, and desklets.

Customization also extends to the the panel, calendar and themes. The image below shows is a good example of the extent at which I customize Cinnamon to give it a Google Material-like look and feel at the time I was still using it.

Conclusively, Linux Mint together with Cinnamon or whatever flavor you decide to go with (as they share the same underlying code) is quite the distro that lives up to its name especially if you’re the type of Linux user that looks to be more productive rather than explorative, Linux Mint will do you more than just justice.

Provided that the latest release 17.3 Rosa is based on an LTS, you’ll continue to get updates for the next three long years which is when Trusty Tahr expires and you’ll have to upgrade to the next 18-ishh version of the operating system that will be based on the next LTS of the time.
:thumbup:
Last edited by Möbius on 09 Apr 2016, 12:12, edited 2 times in total.

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Re: The Everything Linux Mint 17.3 thread

Post by OnTheLimit »

Mobius has been building up significant experience on this topic - specific to Linux Mint - and he is willing to share this info with us.

Instead of forcing him to keep editing an already lengthy initial post, I have invited him to post additional "Chapters" of his Linux saga - as and when he sees fit.

For this reason, our regular "multiple/repeat posts" rule is hereby waived for this Topic. :)
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

Part 2

One of the first things I noticed with Mint was the inclusion of the "Delete" tab in the context menu.

Lets see what Delete does......................................
Oh, exactly that! It deletes stuff and, once its gone, its gone. Not like the option in Windows where it goes to the Recycle Bin first!
Hmm, you have lost it for good. Mistake #1 :doh:
Now, that can be a real pain in the ass. I had just transferred a bunch of files from my hard drive onto the machine and done just that. Going to the Rubbish Bin revealed nothing. Dry mouth, scratch head, oh damn.
Time to do a bit of searching on the net. :book:

Even that was a pain, a "Linux Mint Homepage"....everything alien. Feeling a bit bewildered. Time to use another machine for ease of use.

So, "How to disable the Delete tab in the context menu of Linux Mint?" I ask Firefox.
About 45 minutes later I find the answer. Needles, haystacks? I was wishing that I had persevered with my Linux browser, as the answer was on Linux Mint Forums all the time. :icon_arrow: Homepage: https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.php? ... 05ff896f05

Anyway, my advice would be to disable the "Delete" function, which is very easy to do.
Simply go to the Home folder and open it. Or, click Start/Mint menu and click on Files, either will bring up in your Home folder. Go to the Edit tab (top 2nd left) and go to Preferences, which opens File Management Preferences, in Behaviour scroll down to "Rubbish Bin" and un-check the "Include a Delete Command that bypasses the Rubbish Bin".

You are now sorted. Just close the FMP box. Check your context menu..............and you are left with the single option to "Move To Rubbish Bin" within; ridding you of the extra function of "Delete", which is second nature to use, as an (ex) Windows user. :)
This will hopefully save you from angst/misery at a later date and is a safe option in my opinion. Relief............
:relieved:

-- 09 Apr 2016, 14:19 --

Part 3

Adjusting the basic screen configuration and setting the background.
The default screen.
(Can I just delete things off it? Where is the Rubbish Bin? & That looks way too small!)

Some questions easily answered.
:icon_arrowd:

Hide and show Desktop icons?
Just go to the Menu, Preferences, then Desktop. This brings up a Desktop panel where you can show or hide these icons. Use the toggle switches to your satisfaction.
If they look too big/small? Right click them and drag the surrounding boxes to resize.

Superbar or the Panel looks tiny?

Right click on the Panel and go to the pop-up box "Panel settings". This menu is pretty much self explanatory. I prefer to "Inteligently hide" it and set it as shown, but it is ultimately your choice.

Change the wallpaper?

Again............... Menu, Prefrences, Backgrounds.
Here you are given the choice of approx 180 different types and the option of setting your own background too.

One of my photos as the background along with a previous incarnation of my desktop configuration

Feeling More at home? Definately.......................

Its pretty easy to set up and now it looks and feels much more comfortable; at this point I'm thinking to myself "did I ever need Windows?"
:D

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

-- 09 Apr 2016, 15:54 --

More on this from Mobius - for some reason our system insists on merging his posts... - OTL

Part 4

I want Firefox (or Chrome) browser.

Even though I was using Mint Browser I had difficulty’s setting the homepage to Firefox via the usual route (or Chrome for tht matter). Just download it instead.......

How?
The best way to get either of the browsers is to open up your Package Manager in the Start Menu.

You will then be prompted to insert your password at this point and OK.
Look in here for the "Internet" section and you will see the "Fox" or "Chrome" icons somewhere near the top.
I choose Firefox, and this way ensures you get the correct packages and "dependencies" to run it. Just click the Firefox install button and you are done.

Close your Package Manager, open up your Menu.
Firefox will be in bold type in the internet section of your internet programmes.
Click it, and off you go. Also you can add the icon to both the Desktop and Panel by right click and select.

If you have your settings for Firefox saved on a USB, you can use that file to import your bookmarks etc, straight into your new browser. You can also set up your plug-ins and extensions without hassle in moments.

You will probably be asked to set it as the default browser at some point.

What with all the "hoo-haa" about Google and privacy, I tend to stay away from Chrome.
Even using FF, I set it to search with DuckDuckGo.

Once again, it's all about your choice.

Later; firewall configuration. Safer than sorry(er).
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
tektool
VIP User
VIP User

Post by tektool »

Not to rain on Mobius's hard work and effort of which I appreciate all of it. This is more of hey guess what comment.

Linux Mint 18 Sarah MATE Edition

Linux Mint 18 is a long term support release which will be supported until 2021. It comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.

New features:

This new version of Linux Mint contains many improvements.

For an overview of the new features please visit:

“What’s new in Linux Mint 18 MATE“.

Important info:

The release notes provide important information about known issues, as well as explanations, workarounds and solutions.

To read the release notes, please visit:

“Release Notes for Linux Mint 18 MATE”

System requirements:
◾512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
◾9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
◾Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution (1024×768 recommended).
◾DVD drive or USB port.

Notes:
◾The 64-bit ISO can boot with BIOS or UEFI.
◾The 32-bit ISO can only boot with BIOS.
◾The 64-bit ISO is recommend for all modern computers (Almost all computers sold in the last 10 years are equipped with 64-bit processors).

Upgrade instructions:
◾This BETA release might contain critical bugs, please only use it for testing purposes and to help the Linux Mint team fix issues prior to the stable release.
◾It will be possible to upgrade from this BETA to the stable release.
◾It will also be possible to upgrade from Linux Mint 17.3. Upgrade instructions will be published next month after the stable release of Linux Mint 18.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

It is hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial costs and blamed it on the high cost of living.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

The more I read the more I learn. :appl:
Thanks for all the info provided by both of you Möbius & tektool. :thumbup:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

for skins, icon packs etc... check out :

Code: Select all

https://www.gnome-look.org
yes i know its "gnome"look but has some stuff for mint to...
example

Code: Select all

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1137404/
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

:icon_arrowu: Installed & Very nice indeed. I've been modifying my own theme with a fair amount of success, but this looks far nicer/professional.....

Thumbs up to that man, and thanks Mr NiitriiX for the link. :thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

by the way... LM18 is out for a while now... maybe update the post???

(personally not a fan of LM so aint tested the new version...but maybe you can test and let us know)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List

Return to “Everything Linux”