Moderator: Community Moderator

jenkins4
Member Of The Year
Member Of The Year

Top 5 Linux Distributions May 2015

Post by jenkins4 »

Top 5 Linux Distributions May 2015

Top 5 Linux Distributions May 2015​

This a list of the top 5 Linux distro for this month (May 2015 ) with Download Link and little description about the distro the rank was based on the number of download in the past month :) and I did exclude distro which target enterprises and business such as CentOS and RedHat...

••••• 1 - Linux Mint •••••​

Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.

DOWNLOAD LINUX MINT

Code: Select all

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

••••• 2 - Debian •••••​

Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system. This operating system is called Debian GNU/Linux, or simply Debian for short. Debian systems currently use the Linux kernel. Linux is a completely free piece of software started by Linus Torvalds and supported by thousands of programmers worldwide. Of course, the thing that people want is application software: programs to help them get what they want to do done, from editing documents to running a business to playing games to writing more software. Debian comes with over 50,000 packages (precompiled software that is bundled up in a nice format for easy installation on your machine) - all of it free. It's a bit like a tower. At the base is the kernel. On top of that are all the basic tools. Next is all the software that you run on the computer. At the top of the tower is Debian -- carefully organizing and fitting everything so it all works together.

DOWNLOAD DEBIAN

https://www.debian.org/

•••• 3 - Ubuntu •••••​

Ubuntu is a complete desktop Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit. "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

DOWNLOAD UBUNTU

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

•••• 4- Solus •••••​

Solus is a Linux distribution built from scratch. It uses a forked version of the PiSi package manager, maintained as "eopkg" within Solus, and a custom desktop environment called "Budgie", developed in-house. The Budgie desktop, which can be set to emulate the look and feel of the GNOME 2 desktop, is tightly integrated with the GNOME stack. The distribution is available for 64-bit computers only.

DOWNLOAD SOLUS

https://solus-project.com/download/

•••• 5- openSUSE •••••

openSUSE project is a community program sponsored by Novell. Promoting the use of Linux everywhere, this program provides free, easy access to openSUSE, a complete Linux distribution. The openSUSE project has three main goals: make openSUSE the easiest Linux for anyone to obtain and the most widely used Linux distribution; leverage open source collaboration to make openSUSE the world's most usable Linux distribution and desktop environment for new and experienced Linux users; dramatically simplify and open the development and packaging processes to make openSUSE the platform of choice for Linux developers and software vendors.

DOWNLOAD OPENSUSE

http://software.opensuse.org/132/en
jenkins4 to view my upload list, Please click HERE
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Re: Top 5 Linux Distributions May 2015

Post by Möbius »

I really, really like Mint!

For my tuppence worth........a fabulous replacement for Windows 7

Some may argue.......

Viva Mint 17.2 Rafaela 64bit :thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

All good choices... just a bit surprised that there's no mention of Zorin.
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
Akasha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akasha »

OnTheLimit » 20 Nov 2015, 14:34 wrote:All good choices... just a bit surprised that there's no mention of Zorin.
Me too, Zorin is a good OS :confused:
Haggisman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Haggisman »

Had Zorin 10 Pro up and running but it wouldn't play ball with my VPN. After much back and forth with my provider we decided that in Zorin Sudo isn't allowed to run GKT apps so I had to go back to Mint 17.2 for compatibility reasons, its a lighter OS than Zorin anyway so no issues there and all is working well now. :)
Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway
ChetanG
Premium User
Premium User

Post by ChetanG »

how did Solus get in top 5?
I have used openSuSE for couple decades along with Arch and Slackware.

I like this site for Distro Information http://distrowatch.com/
" Pray: Let the music of peace and harmony be heard everywhere. — Amma "
Monday
ChattChitto RG
ChattChitto RG
Location: The fact that some geniuses are laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses.

Post by Monday »

Keep these comments coming Family :thumbup:
max21
Corporal
Corporal

Post by max21 »

I worked on Ubuntu among those & soon going to try Debian. :ok:

Return to “Everything Linux”