Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Improving VirtualBox Performance

Post by Möbius »

I'm using VirtualBox 5 btw.

Improving VirtualBox's performance the easy way with a Windows 7 "Guest" in Linux Mint 17.3 (Cinnamon) as the "Host".

All I can do is suggest you do is try it to see what kind of results you get. This has worked OK for me for the limited amount of programmes I use on this platform now. I can't guarantee results for everyone.
This should work in other OS "hosts" too, but I have only tried it in Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 32/64 bit.

Once VirtualBox is installed and assuming that you have the "guest additions" CD installed too, you will probably find it frustrating as you are unable to add memory, 2d/3d acceleration, etc, as the settings in VirtualBox Manager are greyed out, yup?

Here is how to fix that.
Infact, its not a fix or a hack. Just a simple way of explaining how to do it (I tried, failed and tried again).
Sound familiar?
So, I read up quite a bit on the subject on various websites and forums and the answers were convoluted, mostly pathetic and sometimes downright rude.
So, from my findings and meddlings, I cut to the chase, here is the answer.

The first thing you need to do is to turn the VirtualBox "Guest" OFF completely.
You thought it was off when you saved it?
No! In a manner of speaking, the "Box" when it is in a Saved State, is in hibernation, cryogenics or whatever.
So you need to "Discard" it with the yellow arrow on the toolbar (Circled. It was yellow, its just been Discarded, now grey).
Your "guest" is now "off" and ready to adjust. Almost.........

That is only if.......and most importantly;

Have you checked your "Users and Groups" settings in Mint? This will give you administrators rights to meddle with the VirtualBox Managers settings.

So you are running Linux as an Administrator yes? OK!

Well, just as a preliminary; go to System Settings, then to Administration. Click "Users And Groups". This will probably ask you for your password, so enter it and click OK.
In Users, click on your admin picture on the left. This will bring up a text box "Groups" that, once clicked on/in, will bring up a list of applications that you have complete control over. Scroll down, and check the two V-Box settings as pictured. If they aren't checked, do so now.

Now you can exit the Groups/System Settings etc.
At this point you will have to log out of Mint and back in again, so make sure you have saved anything else you have been working on.

Re-started and ready to go..... :D
Now power up VirtualBox Manager and check your Box's "System Settings" before you run any Virtual Machine.
With the machine/s still powered "off" you can now adjust some/most of the settings that were unavailable before, namely;
Base Memory increase, Video Memory and Acceleration increase, and enable USB devices within the "guest" machine that are attached to the host (three birds, one stone). Try not to overdose the Base Memory (not shown) as this may cause your entire machine to crash. normally 50% of your RAM is OK.

With that done, you should find that boosting the settings for your Windows "Guest" through the Manager, will have made the OS quite a bit more responsive and less restrictive. :thumbup:

Although I have abandoned Windows in its current form (Ten..Ugh!), I still find the need to use Windows 7 on occasion as a secondary measure.
Being the Linux Newbie (I hate that term) I am and still not fully fluent with command lines, scripts and file editing, there are still things that Linux is either lacking, or are just far too complex for my small brain to comprehend, but, I have found VirtualBox to be an absolute godsend when it comes to certain tasks.

My top four today are...........

#1 For installing Wireless Printers when they are no longer recognised by your router. (Scores 10 out of 10) Dig out your installation discs/or download the ISO then mount them in V-Box

#2 The ability to enable the "flashing" of your routers firmware (Scores 10 out of 10) 99.9% of router manufacturers use dedicated "Windows only" software for this purpose :icon_evil:

#3 To enable Bluetooth for file-sharing easily from within V_box. (Scores 10 out of 10) Where is my Module? :fun: grep.......... Bluetooth is not so user friendly in Linux Mint, there are still a pile of issues here; roll on Mint 18. :D

#4 The ability to run a Sandbox or the program "Shadow Defender" whilst using the internet (Scores 11 out of 10)
In my experience, adding ANY type of AV to a Virtual Machine is just a system resource hog or a big handbrake, so why waste time and tears? Running a virtual environment within a virtual environment is a pretty good alternative to any anti-virus software as far as I am concerned.

The list could go on.
And on.
But I'll stop here. :thumbup:

Happy V-Boxing :fun:

Use Linux And Relax

Return to “Everything Linux”