So you have Linux installed....? Unsure about it?

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

So you have Linux installed....? Unsure about it?

Post by Möbius »

I ditched Windows 8 and 10 a few years back and dived into what was at the time Linux Mint 17.
I had no other option at the time. Skint, with a new but useless (courtesy of Microsoft) borked laptop.

It was a stressful transition. I needed to use a machine for work and it had to work. It took a couple of days to familiarise myself with Linux Mint, but it paid off. So much so, that quite a few of my colleagues are now using Linux Mint and the company is very interested too. Its a money thing. :icon_rolleyes:

A success story? In a way, yes, #1, for the state of my mental health. #2, I've been instrumental in changing the boss's perception of using computers at work. Many, many reasons have been bandied about, but cost and security are among the biggest reasons why it should be used.

Q: Will I ever get a pay rise? A: When hell freezes. :icon_frown:

Any way, have some questions requiring answers, or are just plain curious? Visit the link below
:icon_arrowd:
https://linuxjourney.com/

Its not all cloak and dagger, Spy vs Spy, or even rocket science.

:thumbup:

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Re: So you have Linux installed....? Unsure about it?

Post by OnTheLimit »

You did well, Mobi!

And they're bloody lucky to have you.

Make 'em pay, I say!! :D
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
Akasha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akasha »

Many people try Linux, many people use it part time with an excuse that its a transition (I'm one of those) :icon_rolleyes: but very few people dive into it and start using it full time, make a success of it and never look back!
Respect Möbius! :thumbup: :yowyow: :shoot:
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

:icon_arrowu: Thanks for that, but I'm far from being some sort of geek where the OS is concerned, Im still in newbie territory.

I just enjoy dabbling with this stuff, its like the old days of XP with the polish of Win7.

When we got 10 foisted upon us and the damn thing wouldn't even play a CD, I was totally unimpressed with Microsoft and their piss poor after sales service. Teething troubles....... :icon_evil: ........bollocks!

Even Lenovo screwed me when I installed Linux, they invalidated my warranty. My argument was it was a hardware warranty, their opinion was, Linux was an too unstable an OS which would cause hardware failures. So they washed their hands. So I told them in the most polite matter......to go and f**k themselves.

Well, I see that it 10 has come some way from its crib, but I think its an overly complicated and bloated OS that is mainly money centric. Want it to sing and dance, simple, PAY! Even then, you are disappointed with pretty shoddy results.

I also enjoy my privacy and the ability to use my system whenever I want, without having to look over my shoulder and always praying the next KB update doesn't screw things to a stand still, which it invariably does.

Also, whatever hardware I use, these damn Windows 10 updates restrict its use, sometimes for hours, whilst they install, and, for that matter, if they install at all :thumbsdown:

And, I cant understand why I need to turn Kaspersky off AND the firewall, to install cumulative updates from the internet. Whats all that about? Meh, who cares......

I can count on one hand, the amount of times Linux has borked; twice it was a simple uninstall of a Kernel Update because of the Heartbleed vulnerability and a couple of times where I didn't select a folder for recovering some 110gig of pictures/music when using TestDisk/Photorec and my home folder got a bit choked :giggle:

How much time have I wasted with Windows? If I had a dollar for every 10 minutes I'd be wealthy very wealthy.

I vote with my feet and all roads to Microsoft are unlikely to be revisited in the near future, unless its my dads machine or my VirtualBox.

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

Wow, Mobi...

LENOVO ought to hang their collective heads in shame... we're not talking about mnemonic Assembler or other machine code where one could send a million MON/MOF instructions down a particular channel to burn out a specific device.

I would have asked them to cite a single example where Linux itself has caused a hardware failure... :snooty: I for one do not believe that any such instance has ever been recorded. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, chaps and chapesses... :think:

If you ever do talk to Lenovo again, perhaps ask them to explain why they injected a bootkit/rootkit into many of their brand new systems some years ago. Look up the term Superfish for all the gory details.

They got more than their wrists slapped for that very unethical strategy, all the way up to the Federal Trade Commission. Makes me wonder if some of those very same wankers aren't working for Huawei now..?
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!

Return to “Everything Linux”