Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Windows7 Theme For Linux Mint

Post by Möbius »

How to Make Linux Mint Look Like Windows7

Pretty easily.

The screenshot you see above might look like it’s of Windows 7, but it’s actually just a Windows7 theme for Linux Mint 19.3 and some other related distros.

With Windows7 support at an end and lots of users debating a switch to Linux Mint, I thought I'd share this article, which is from............

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/mak ... -windows-7

The developers for this theme can be found here @

https://github.com/B00merang-Project

and have over 70 items pinned in their repositories.

I've tried this theme and its okay, but, it has me around the bend trying to install .exe files.

Old habits die hard. :fun:

:giggle:

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Re: Windows7 Theme For Linux Mint

Post by OnTheLimit »

I have a feeling that this is about to become popular with many of us W10 haters.

A good GUI (like Mint, but with more features and capabilities to make it more W7-like in look and feel) will make Linux an ever more viable alternative to the dreaded W10 onslaught.

Nice one, thanks Mobi! :ok:
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
darkvader
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by darkvader »

Woh love this :cheers: booked marked & thank you Möbius, a question (Can windows 10) be done this way also? ie the start menu? can this *StartIsBack* work in a similar way? i must say out loud I hate the windows 10 start menu :(
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Signature by Haggisman
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

:icon_arrowu:

I bought my dad and gifted him a genuine and legitimate licence for "StartIsBack" (it was less that 4euros) and I can confirm that it does give your 10 setup a Windows 7 start menu, which is perfect for him and ideal for me when I maintain his machine. :thumbup:

The licence is for a lifetime, and only usable on the instal specific machine, but, you do get free software upgrades in future, which is a bonus (because the 10 menu is a heap of s**t as far as I'm concerned, as is the whole system on the whole..... :giggle: ) and there's a first, actually PAYING for software other than AV!
Jeez....well I never. :icon_rolleyes:

I must admit that when I installed the Linux "Windows" theme, icons et al, all was great, but I shelved it because it really screwed with my head.
Honestly, I forgot where I was and downloaded some free Microsoft software.....
but blow me, it didn't install :blush:
Hell, they (B00merang-Project) even have a Windows 10 version for us Linux users.......
Cripes! Who's going to use that?
Fancy turning Linux into something that resembles a turd?
Not me......

However, back to the Linux Mint Menu;
I use the basic applet CinnVIIStartMenu muxed with Mint-Y-Dark Pink theme, with the chameleon-cursor-theme set installed which is more to my liking, maybe not yours, but...

https://screenshots.debian.net/package/ ... rsor-theme
( :icon_arrowu:
Just for instance.......theres blue, green, white, anthracite in different sizes too.
Its far more appealing than the standard skinny and blocky Mint sets. So, it's just perfect......for me at least).

Heres the latest incarnation of my menu atm.
:icon_arrowd:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is the Mate setting and I feel right at home here. :thumbup:

It took a little while to adjust the settings to get the font scaling right, also the menu size correct, but that's half the fun of exploring Mint Cinnamon 19.3

:dance:

Use Linux And Relax
darkvader
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by darkvader »

Möbius I think Jenkins4 uploaded (StartIsBack) https://www.chattchitto.com/forum/searc ... mit=Search I will potter about with it at the weekend, so it's just a matter of installing it & the option to use as my start menu? cool..... :tongue:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Signature by Haggisman
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

:think:

Just to be clear, DV...

StartIsBack is an add-on for W8 and W10, making them a little more W7-like with a familiar Start Menu. But it will not work (or even properly install, I imagine) on a Linux based OS.

The Windows7 theme for Linux distros is definitely not intended for or designed to install on any Windows operating system.
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
darkvader
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Post by darkvader »

OnTheLimit » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:01 pm wrote::think:

Just to be clear, DV...

StartIsBack is an add-on for W8 and W10, making them a little more W7-like with a familiar Start Menu. But it will not work (or even properly install, I imagine) on a Linux based OS.

The Windows7 theme for Linux distros is definitely not intended for or designed to install on any Windows operating system.
Thank you, OTL for the clarification, however, I had worked those points out..... :thumbsup:
Signature by Haggisman

Return to “Everything Linux”