Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Scrcpy....Mirror Image Your Android

Post by Möbius »

Running on Ubuntu, nach....

What is scrcpy? Interested?

Read on.......

Basically, its an app that allows you to mirror your Android phone on your desktop It's a cross platform (Mac, Windows, Linux as usual) app, but in this instance run on Mint Cinnamon 19.2 via a "snap" package, and you don't have to root your device.
Working with Android 9.

Heres my experimental tut......

You may have to install/activate snap packages, by running a terminal command "apt install snapd" or "sudo apt install snapd"

Then, we install "sudo snap install scrcpy" via the terminal.

You may also need to ensure that you are a member of "plugdev" in system settings, Users and Groups.

Then take a USB cable and connect your pc to android, making sure you have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
Hint/also; make sure you have these adb packages installed through the software manager, ie
:icon_arrowd:

In a terminal, enter/launch "scrcpy"

(At this point you may encounter an error, as seen in the second screenshot,however, run these two terminal commands

"adb kill-server"
&
"adb start-server"

then enter "scrcpy" again), that should enable the app.

Your device should now show/start it's self on your monitor and from there you can access all of your Android functions via point and click, with your mouse.

Now you should be able to slap "Artoo-Detoo" around all day long without touching the device screen (tip; disable screen off), send texts, make calls, etc.

This works on a clapped out, two core machine very nicely, but, with a little patience.

Note; this app doesn't show on your start menu (Linux), so you may wish to add a launcher to start it in future, however its relatively easy to remember the commands :fun:

There are also some extra shortcuts and tips listed on the github page below.

Heck, I forgot to mention......its also free and useful.

You can apparently get it to work wirelessly (But I haven't got that far yet) :tongue:
Also it supports touch screen, or so they claim.
I'm happy it works with USB cable and the mouse.
:thumbup:

Find more info here;

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/11/scr ... 10-support

And also @

https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

Commands without [""] quotes.
Untried in Windows or Mac yet.

Use Linux And Relax

Return to “Everything Linux”