Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

EndlessOS (A Review).

Post by Möbius »

EndlessOS

Endless OS is a Linux-based operating system which provides a simplified and streamlined user experience using a customized desktop environment forked from GNOME 3. Rather than using a traditional Linux package management system, Endless OS uses a read-only root file system managed by OSTree with application bundles overlaid on top.

Looks kind of sweet and easy to use for novices and experienced users alike.

It may serve to be a great introduction to Linux based systems via VirtualBox or Dual Boot, for the uninitiated.

Debian based, and new versions available (v3.4.0) in 32bit and 64bit from both links:

https://endlessos.com/

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr ... =endlessos

Untried (as of yet), but interesting all the same.

:thumbup:

(Ignore the bottom of the screen shot.......thats my panel. Oops!
Last edited by Möbius on 07 Aug 2018, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

Use Linux And Relax
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Re: EndlessOS

Post by LghPuppy »

Now I have to look for another USB stick to try this one out. :doh:
That's some serious size for the full image, unless there is a mistake in the sizes. :think:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

Personally, I downloaded the basic .iso for a trial myself (approx 1.9gb) and loaded it into VirtualBox.

It is surprisingly quick to install considering the size.

Its got a clean look and feel to it, Android style.

Lets see what I can add via terminal........VPN? Firejail?

Apparently it runs "Flatpacks" which are "contained apps" designed not to interfere with the system, perhaps Firejail wont be required. Maybe this is the reason why the full version .iso is so big, as quite a few Flatpacks for Mint appear to be about 650MB, others less so.

Has it impressed me in VirtualBox???
50/50 Errr......not much.......

Wow! The terminal is hobbled.
Trying to get a VPN working....... is a :thumbsdown:
I'm getting the impression that this OS is not built for enquiring minds, such as our own.

It looks as though its aimed at little kids (like 5 year olds), big kids (80+ with little computer savvy) or even inmates :lol:

Talk about restrictive.......

I'll persevere, but not for too long.
:icon_cheesygrin:
Last edited by Möbius on 07 Aug 2018, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

Use Linux And Relax
Akasha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Akasha »

Möbius » 06 Aug 2018, 07:35 wrote:
It looks as though its aimed at little kids (like 5 year olds), big kids (80+ with little computer savvy) or even inmates :lol:

Talk about restrictive.......
:lol: :lol:
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

I have mucked around with this OS for a little while now and have found it to be snappy, good looking and you can install a variety of familiar apps that could possibly keep you amused for a day or two.

The apps appear to be solid and pretty much bug free; old familiars like VLC (but you have to PAY for media codecs ($3.00) and no, you cant install them apparently, without paying). Chrome, Gimp, etc, etc all work like they say on the tin. The printer and scanner apps work well, along with wi-fi and so on. Dandy! :thumbup:

I get the impression that this OS would be great for a small business, hotel, B&B, school or learning environment, as it is almost free and almost hassle-free (although it may not work on such a wide variety of machines as Ubuntu or Mint does) in installation and operation.

[Many-a-time, on my travels, I have wanted to use the internet for checking my mail, as cell phone coverage was impossible; just to find that the local library or hotel had a dubious, clapped out version of Windows on an equally cranky and ancient machine (think costs!), or, the proprietor had a Mac machine; simply because they were egotists or they had a tendency toward sadism.]

So this OS seems to fill a niche in the market, with its good looks and ease of use and its excellent ability for getting a job done. :thumbup:

Further Note.....

Basically, if you had this OS installed on your average laptop, located in the reception area of, lets say a hotel, I would go so far to say, that it's doubtful whether anyone would want to take it. So, additionally, it's thief-resistant to boot! :fun:

Verdict....

Or, maybe I am being a little too harsh by saying these last words..........but, as far as I am concerned, this OS is just far too boring for my liking.
["Infinitely..." would have been a much more apt name for this OS methinks :giggle: ]

I rate this at 6 out of 10 (as a Linux user).
However, I am certain others would disagree with my findings; especially those who made the whole experience possible.

Bless 'em. :angel:

One thing I am absolutely positive about..........
EndessOS is something you may wish to avoid, especially if you wish to ride the high seas.

Use Linux And Relax

Return to “Everything Linux”